Followers

Get A Grip: Fight Overload

Posted by biboybob Friday, March 28, 2008

I've just read an article on the March 2008 issue of Reader's Digest about overcoming stress and work overload, and I thought that I should be sharing it. No. I'm not trying to steal RD's profits, or block readers from buying it, it's just that most of my friends and acquaintances are in the IT industry (probably where the most stressful jobs are) and I myself has experienced a very stressful worklife on my previous company.

Here are some of my favorite tips from the article, I hope you get something from them:

I have a choice. Repeat these four words. People who say, "My boss wants me to be reachable after 8pm" are likely exaggerating the controls others have over them.

~ This is my most favorite. We all know it, but most of us ignore this fact. The truth is you have several options around, you just have to let yourself see them. If you don't want to be disturbed by work while enjoying your private life, you can just turn off your phone (or any communicator that you might have). If you feel unrewarded and unhappy with your current work, you can always look for some place else.

Take baby steps. Try being inaccessible for short spurts to see what happens. The world probably won't implode.

~ I used to think that I can't take a day-off, as no one seems to be more capable than I am for the current work that I am assigned to. I used to be afraid that my team would somehow be delayed if I don't give my contributions. But there will always be someone who can do the work in your stead. Believe it or not, even if you got sick, even if you resign for another job, somebody else would definitely accomplish the tasks that you've left.

Make a task list. If you're interrupted, you'll get back to work faster if you have a list of what needs to be done.

~ Very self-explanatory. I just hate it when someone forgets to complete a major task, just because he did something else, which he thought was more important. You should include levels of prioritization in your task list, or else you'll end up not knowing which one to do first.

Set limits. Rein in office email and instant message traffic. Who truly needs 35 daily FYIs on the outcome of a project?

~ I would like to say, set your non-negotiables. Create a list of the things that are more important to you than your work. Set your boss' expectations. If you don't want to miss your dad's birthday each year, then going to his party even on a workday is a non-negotiable to you.

Of course, to work is also important. But one should not let it get the better of him. There are a lot of things that are more significant and enjoyable than work, you just have to allow yourself to take a few hours off.

0 comments